Horace Gordon Stone
- Unknown photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Portrait of Horace Gordon Stone, Lieut. in Command M.L. 222. Died on active service December 15, 1918.
The magnificent stained glass window "Harmony" in the Library's foyer was created by John Henry Dearle in 1931. It is a reproduction of Sir Frank Dicksee's painting of the same name currently housed at the Tate Gallery in London. Dearle, the master craftsman for Morris & Co. in England, designed the nine feet tall window as a commission piece for Henry Athelstan Stone of Vancouver as a memorial to his son.
"Harmony" was presented to the West Vancouver Memorial Library in 1950 by the officer's sister. The inscription reads "To the Memory of Lieut. Horace Gordon Stone, only son of Henry A. and Beatrice H. Stone of the city, who died in Active Service December 15, 1918."
- The notes and illustrations beside the portrait depict a sailboat with the caption "Adanac R.V.Y.C Winner of the McNeill International Cup Graverly [sic; should be Gravely] and other cups. Designed and built by H.G.S".
- Date of Original:
- Personal Name(s):
- Stone, Horace Gordon ; Stone, Henry A. ; Stone, Beatrice H.
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain.
Downloading images from this site is governed by our Guidelines for Appropriate Usage and Conditions of Use.
- Copyright Holder:
- West Vancouver Memorial Library
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned July 2013 using Epson Perfection V700 Photo at 300dpi and 100% of original image size. Alternate Versions: Lossless TIF from original scan at 300dpi and 100% of original print. W20.5 x H25.5 cm sepia print on photo paper.(original located in frame in WVML)
West Vancouver Memorial Library
Agency street/mail address
1950 Marine Drive
West Vancouver, BC V7V 1J8